Judge Albright, who has presided over patent cases in multiple Divisions within the Western District of Texas, appears to have issued his first order denying a motion to transfer venue for convenience from the Waco Division to the Austin Division. Until this point, he has generally been very open to intra-district transfers for convenience, both opposed and unopposed.
Case No. 6:20-cv-108 (ParkerVision, Inc. v. Intel Corp.) was filed in the Waco Division in February 2020. On July 10, 2020, Intel moved to transfer the case under § 1404(a) to the District of Oregon or, alternatively, the Austin Division of WDTX. ParkerVision initially agreed that a transfer to Austin was proper, but subsequently filed a Notice of Clarification stating that “if a transfer of this case to Austin results in a different case schedule, then ParkerVision submits that Austin would not be a clearly more convenient forum than Waco appeared to initially.” A hearing on the motion was held on September 2, 2020. Supplemental submissions were filed in September and December.
On January 26, Judge Albright entered his order denying Intel’s motion to transfer in its entirety, finding that Intel did not met its "heavy burden" to demonstrate that either the District of Oregon or the Austin Division was “a clearly more convenient forum than Waco.”
In light of the recent ruling by the Federal Circuit (see previous post HERE) and the Austin Federal Courthouse’s continued closure during COVID, this is likely not the last order declining to transfer a case from Waco to Austin.
With over 50 years of combined experience with federal court practice in the Western District, our team boasts former federal clerks and outstanding litigators with unrivaled experience in local federal litigation. Our contributors are all located in the Waco office of Naman, Howell, Smith & Lee. With an office just blocks from the Waco courthouse, we have our finger on the pulse of the emerging patent litigation practice in the Waco Division of the Western District, and we want to share that expertise with you.
- WDTX - Amended Order Assigning the Business of the Court - 12/16/22
- New WDTX Order Begins Assigning Patent Cases Filed in Waco to Judges Throughout the Western District...What Next?
- Revised Order Governing Proceedings - OGP 3.5.1
- New Order re Filing Documents Under Seal and Redacted Public Versions
- New Order Governing Proceedings - Patent Cases - OGP Version 3.5
- Live Audio Feed for Jury Trial - Profectus Technology LLC v Google LLC
- 2nd Amended Standing Order Re Motions for Inter-District Transfer
- New Standing Order Re Joint/Unopposed Requests
- New Order Governing Proceedings - Patent Cases - Version 3.4
- Judge Albright's New Standing Orders