Judge Albright has recently updated the Court's website to include examples of previous technology tutorials that he has found to be particularly helpful. These should provide an example for counsel looking to craft a tech tutorial in Judge Albright's Court in the future.
If presented well, tech tutorials can provide a very useful overview of the underlying technology to the court. If presented poorly, they can be a waste of time or even set a negative tone for the Markman that counsel probably wants to avoid. Although not required, Judge Albright’s standing order governing patent cases contemplates electronic or live tech tutorials if a party believes it would be beneficial. The key is to ensure that this tutorial is presented in such a way that it is actually beneficial to the court, and thus your case.
The Court has now provided additional guidance for attorneys preparing tech tutorials by providing exemplary tutorials that Judge Albright has found particularly helpful. These can be found at: https://www.txwd.uscourts.gov/judges-information/exemplary-tutorials/ (direct links to the two tutorials provided below as well).
Currently there are two tutorials posted: one about 20 minutes long (https://youtu.be/f9Cnrvu8CKA) and one about 14 minutes long (https://youtu.be/ZZjxJTiEe2w). For attorneys preparing for Markman hearings in Judge Albright’s Court, it will likely be a good use of half an hour to review the two examples currently presented on the Court’s website to provide a good basis for crafting their own tutorial.
As always, stay safe, healthy, and wash your hands!
With over 50 years of combined experience with federal court practice in the Western District, our team boasts former federal clerks and outstanding litigators with unrivaled experience in local federal litigation. Our contributors are all located in the Waco office of Naman, Howell, Smith & Lee. With an office just blocks from the Waco courthouse, we have our finger on the pulse of the emerging patent litigation practice in the Waco Division of the Western District, and we want to share that expertise with you.
- WDTX - Amended Order Assigning the Business of the Court - 12/16/22
- New WDTX Order Begins Assigning Patent Cases Filed in Waco to Judges Throughout the Western District...What Next?
- Revised Order Governing Proceedings - OGP 3.5.1
- New Order re Filing Documents Under Seal and Redacted Public Versions
- New Order Governing Proceedings - Patent Cases - OGP Version 3.5
- Live Audio Feed for Jury Trial - Profectus Technology LLC v Google LLC
- 2nd Amended Standing Order Re Motions for Inter-District Transfer
- New Standing Order Re Joint/Unopposed Requests
- New Order Governing Proceedings - Patent Cases - Version 3.4
- Judge Albright's New Standing Orders