Edward Valdespino focuses his practice in general litigation, international trade law, and transportation litigation. He has handled many multi-million dollar cases, in representation of international corporations and insurance companies, throughout his career.
Edward was lead co-counsel in the class-action lawsuits presented before the U.S. Supreme Court in the case of the Stanford Financial Ponzi Scheme. He also assists companies in maneuvering transactions dealing with maritime logistics.
- Successful lead co-counsel in consolidated cases, Chadbourne & Parke LLP v. Samuel Troice, et al. (No. 11-11031), Willis of Colorado Incorporated v. Samuel Troice, et al. (No. 11-11048) and Proskauer Rose, LLP v. Samuel Troice, et al. (No. 11-11031) before the United States Supreme Court allowing three multi-billion dollar class action lawsuits to proceed in the Stanford Financial Ponzi Scheme case.
- Lead Co-counsel in three Stanford Financial Ponzi Scheme securities class actions reaching settlements of $40,000,000, $65.000,000 and $120,000,000.
- Achieved a summary judgment after a five-day hearing on behalf of Gulf Insurance Company, the E&O carrier for Capital Insurance Agency, in a case wherein Plaintiff alleged that Capital breached its agency contract and its fiduciary duty by failing to keep a commercial trucking program from lapsing. Plaintiffs claimed in excess of $40,000,000 in liquidated damages.
- Negotiated a $40,000 settlement of a lawsuit filed by eighty-five plaintiffs seeking in excess of $350,000,000. The plaintiffs sued a major commercial trucking carrier for allegedly initiating a series of accidents that resulted in thirteen deaths and four serious injuries.
- Trial victory for an international franchise company which established exclusive franchise rights for the State of New Mexico and achieved a zero verdict on a counterclaim in excess of $10,000,000.
- Recovered in excess of $1,000,000 for an international insurance company for an errors and omissions claim against its international third party administrator.
Outstanding Lawyer, The San Antonio Business Journal, 2015
20 Extraordinary Texas Minority Lawyers, The Texas Lawyer, 2015
Best Lawyers in America, BL Rankings, 2006-2016
Texas Super Lawyer, Thompson Reuters Legal, 2007- 2011, 2016
Outstanding Member, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, 2012
Top-5 Insurance Lawyers, Texas Lawyer’s “The Go-To Guide”, 2002
Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Rated Lawyer
Civic & Professional
The Official Stanford Investors Committee, Member, (2009-2016)
Blue Star Contemporary Center Advisory Board of Directors, Chairman (2007-2015)
Central Catholic High School Board of Directors, Secretary (2004-2008) (2010-2014)
Rey Feo Consejo Educational Foundation Board of Directors, Member, (2007 - 2016)
Hispanic Chamber of Commerce , Member (2001-2016)
Defense Counsel of San Antonio, Member (1987-2016)
- State of Texas, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., 1987
University of Texas at San Antonio, B.B.A. in Finance, 1983